something of a problem
So I’m having something of a problem with one of my accepted-but-not-yet-published stories. I wrote several months ago about my story “Twice Blest” being accepted at a certain magazine. That edition was supposed to appear in early November. Then I received an email from the editor saying it would appear shortly after Thanksgiving.
To date, the newest edition of the publication has not yet appeared. I have written to the editor three times and to the magazine’s general email address. No response at all. I found the magazine on Facebook and posted a query there then found the editor on Facebook and sent her a message asking the status. No response at all.
My fear is that something significant has happened that has prevented the editor/magazine from going forward. That would be unfortunate for all involved, of course, and I don’t want to come across as callous or uncaring. But not knowing anything is uncomfortable for me as well.
I contacted a friend of mine who is an editor of a different publication and asked him if this signified anything. He suggested that I wait it out for a while. It was his idea that I try to reach the editor/publication through social media, and I was glad to give that a try.
Ultimately, though, I have to decide if I should withdraw my story from consideration so I can start sending it around elsewhere. And if I can’t get a response at all to my status queries, can I be sure that anyone there will even receive a withdrawal notice from me? Might I get the story accepted elsewhere and then find this original publication has come back to life and already published it?
Has this kind of thing ever happened to you? What would you do?